Salzburg Airport & Transfer Guide
Named after legendary composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Salzburg Airport boasts the slogan ‘Faster, Easier, Friendlier!’
Sounds like a great starting point for your ski holidays, right?
It’s the second largest Austrian international airport and is a gateway to the country’s numerous ski resorts, including the Ski Amade region, the largest network of linked skiing destinations in Europe.
Salzburg Airport is located 4km from the city centre, giving you easy access to the famed culture of the city. In addition, the border with Germany is just 2km away, making it a popular choice for skiing enthusiasts.
Closest Ski Resorts to Salzburg Airports
There’s plenty of choice when it comes to finding the right resort near Salzburg Airport. Here’s a list of the ones you need to know about.
Please note that the transfer times below are approximate only, as weather and traffic conditions can significantly impact transfer times.
- Alpendorf (Austria) - 64 km/ 55 minutes
- Bad Gastein (Austria) - 97 km/ 1 hour 30 minutes
- Flachau (Austria) - 71 km/ 1 hour
- Hintertux (Austria) - 190 km/ 2 hours 50 minutes
- Ischgl (Austria) - 277 km/ 3 hours 20 minutes
- Kitzbuhel (Austria) - 75 km/ 1 hour 25 minutes
- Obertauern (Austria) - 92 km/ 1 hour 20 minutes
- Saalbach (Austria) - 82 km/ 1 hour 30 minutes
- San Vigilio di Marebbe (Italy) - 285 km/ 3 hours 45 minutes
- Schladming (Austria) - 83 km/ 1 hour 5 minutes
- St Anton (Austria) - 273 km/ 3 hours 20 minutes
- Val Gardena (Italy) - 290 km/ 3 hours 50 minutes
- Zell am See (Austria) - 77 km/ 1 hour 30 minutes
- Zell am Ziller (Austria) - 162 km/ 2 hours 10 minutes
- Zillertal (Austria) - 161 km/ 2 hours 10 minutes
Salzburg Airport Public Transport Links
Located only 4km away, it’s easy to arrive at the city centre by public transport, whether you’re travelling by trolleybus, train or taxi, in less than 20 minutes. Winter sports enthusiasts often choose Salzburg Airport as a place to start their ski resort holiday.
For the most convenient travel to your selected resort, we highly recommend using a private transfer service. You may have to deal with multiple, unexpected changes if you travel by public transport.
Airlines Flying to Salzburg Airport
Here’s a list of the most common airlines flying into Salzburg Airport.
- S7 Airlines
- Turkish Airlines
- WOW air
Alternative Airports Near Salzburg
If you’re struggling to find your flight or you need a diversion, it’s always helpful to know where the closest airports are. Here’s some nearby alternatives to keep you in the know.
- Munich Airport - 176 km / 2 hours 5 minutes
- Innsbruck Airport - 182 km/ 2 hours 25 minutes
Cost of Flying with your Skis to Salzburg Airport
Airlines companies charge different fees for your baggage. To make sure you’re on top, we’ve looked at all the prices from main airline companies flying into Salzburg Airport. Here’s an approximate cost of travelling with your own skis.
- Air Baltic - € 35 per flight
- Austrian Airlines - € 50 per flight
- British Airways - € 45 per flight
- EasyJet - € 40 per flight
- Eurowings - € 50 per flight
- Finnair - € 30 per flight
- FlyBe - no extra charge
- Jet2.com - € 37 per flight
- KLM - € 25 per flight
- Lufthansa - € 50 per flight
- NIKI - € 20 per flight
- Norwegian - € 35 per flight
- Ryanair - € 40 per flight
- S7 Airlines - € 40 per flight
- SAS - € 35 per flight
- Transavia - € 29 per flight
- TUIfly - € 65 per flight
- Turkish Airlines - € 25 per flight
- WOW air - € 40 per flight
All the above baggage prices are approximate. They may change depending on your departure/arrival point, as well as other factors.
We recommend familiarising yourself with the airlines official information as in many cases, skis can be carried as checked baggage within the free baggage allowance.
Cost of Transfers from Salzburg Airport
Our aim is to ensure you receive the best transfer service available in the Alps region. Our dynamic pricing structure certifies that you get the best deal possible, one that’s tailored to your individual circumstance.
We don’t have fixed rates. Instead, we’re always looking for ways to reduce the cost and save you that vital holiday spending money.
Here are the main factors we take into account when making you a great offer.
- The day and time of your travel (midweek is the right choice for a discount!)
- The number of people traveling
- Chosen airport and location of resort you wish to travel to
- Any special additional discounts that we can offer
Vehicle availability, transfer schedules and vehicle utilisation are all additional factors that we take into account, as well as other costs such as parking or road tolls.
Significant savings are possible if you choose to travel during off-peak or off-season times, with up to 60% differences on midweek and weekend travel.
If you’d like to find out more about our transfer prices, you can do so here.
Important Information for Salzburg Airport
If you’re flying into Salzburg Airport, here are some vital links and useful info you may need.
Salzburg Airport Homepage
Salzburg Airport Business Lounge Info
Salzburg Official Travel Guide
Transfers from Salzburg Airport with Alps2Alps
Even when offering discounted services for our clients, we always prioritise quality and safety. Our English speaking, professional drivers will transport you from Salzburg Airport to your desired ski resort in as comfortable of a journey as possible.
We’re proud of our exceptional reliability and punctuality.
Our fleet of cars is formed of modern Renault Trafic, Opel Vivaro and Mercedes E Class vehicles. All are equipped for winter conditions and comply with local authority regulations.
Find out more and book your transfer from Salzburg Airport here!